Sunday, August 17, 2014

School days are here again

As we are getting ready for school tomorrow, I am finding myself a little nervous...and quite thankful.  This time last year, Sis's eczema was flared up.  Her ankles were horrible.  The first couple of weeks of school were very difficult.  I didn't know if she would be able to attend class.  I didn't know what was gonna happen.  She had a hard time straightening out her legs again.  She could only where flip flops.  And the summer heat was murder.  This child, who used to LOVE the outdoors, was a recluse in the summer.  She didn't like going outside.  The gnats flipped her out because they wouldn't leave her alone and when she got hot, she itched like crazy.  Her skin would break open and the horrible nightmare would repeat.  So, she chose to stay inside.  When she was able to return to school, she couldn't enjoy outside P.E. - which was ok with her...She stayed cool and had minimal itching.  Once the weather cooled, her life was much better and a little more normal.  Anyway, this was the time before we discovered Wobenzyme N.  You can read more about that by clicking here.

Everything that blooms in the late summer was in full bloom this time last year.  She was "going backwards" as we called it at our house.  Her skin was flared, broken open, baths were painful and life was so stressful again...Well, that's where we were this time last year.  Where are we this year?  Clear skin and wearing sneakers!  And yes, everything is in full bloom again.

Course, I am a little nervous - I've been able to keep an eye on her all summer - making sure she drinks enough water daily, reminding her to use her Na-PCA spray when she scratches too much, reminding her to "rub", making sure she gets cooled down with minimal itching when she gets hot and sweaty.  I know.  Typical mom, right?  Gotta be in control - or feel like we are anyway!  I give all the thanks to our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, for where we are today with Sis's eczema and food allergies.  I am so thankful for the wisdom and discernment He grants me as I look for new recipes and adapting them for her.  For being able to figure out what could possibly still be irritating her skin when I thought we removed everything she could possibly be allergic too.  I thank Him for the endurance He gives me every day to create meals she enjoys eating! 

Oh, by the way!  We went last week to our pediatrician for a check up.  This was the first time in all Sis's life that her pediatrician has said her skin looks good.  I've always heard, from her first baby checkups about how dry her skin is and what I should do to care for it.  

Of course, having a child with food allergies, I have to make snacks, lunches, special treats, etc for school.   With all that I have learned over the last 2 years, and with being able to nail down her food allergies, her lunch menu has really opened up this year.  For instance, I have learned to make bread that holds up really well for a sandwich!!  So tomorrow, she gets to take a chicken sandwich for lunch!  To say I am excited for her is a huge understatement!  

I have been busy getting ready for school to start, so I haven't had a chance to start posting recipes.  I hope to start on that real soon.  
  
Feel free to leave a comment - I'd love to hear from you!
Blessings!
CJ 

No comments:

Post a Comment