Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Looking back...and cinnamon

A few months ago, I was on a facebook page for parents with kids with eczema - a support group.  I clicked on the link for another support group and the banner pic popped up for that page.  It was the back of a child's leg that were all scratched up and red from being inflamed and bleeding.  Memories came flooding back.  Painful memories.  My oldest looked over my shoulder and asked if that was her...it wasn't, but it was exactly what her legs did look like.  I asked her if she remembered her legs looking like that, and she did.  Guess that is an image that will forever be burned in our minds.  I am so grateful she doesn't look like that anymore.  God has healed her so much.  With that picture and the last several posts, I have been reminded of what we have been through.  And it has been a lot.  More than I realized.  I wish I had taken pics along the way, especially now that I started this blog.  I tried, but the pics just didn't show the true pic of what her legs and arms looked like. 

One thing this journey has done for us...It's made us eat healthier.  My husband says he's gonna live to be 200 years old because of how we eat now.  I have learned that I can be a vegetarian, but I REALLY don't like it.  Don't get me wrong, I have always LOVED good vegetables, especially homegrown.  But from January to June of this year that is all we ate - at home anyway.  I like my meat way TOO much for that.  We did it for our daughter.  From Thanksgiving to New Year's, her eczema flared a little.  The only thing different was the amount of meat she ate - and it was mostly lamb.  So, mid January, my hubby and I were talking things over, trying to figure out what contributed to her flare up (besides the excitement that the holidays bring).  We decided to cut out meat for a while.  Sure enough, with in a few weeks we saw a major difference in her skin.  Only thing I can figure is that her body cannot tolerate an excess of meat.  You know what they say - "too much of a good thing is bad."  This is SO true in her case. This was also about the time I realized she might be allergic to cinnamon.  By the way, did you know there is a difference in cinnamon?  I didn't until a few months ago.  Where I can't find the websites I researched then, here is one that explains the difference.  There is Ceylon and cassia.  Cassia is what is predominately sold in the U.S.  I had no idea... Here is another bit of information about cassia cinnamon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment